Re: [PROPOSAL] Add some package from 'classpath'

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 21:46, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > 	How complete is libswing-java?
>
> http://rainbow.netreach.net/~sballard/japi/

That's impressive.
Does it work so well in real life? We've had so many people saying that
swing is not possible with free tools that these pages are somewhat hard
to believe. I hope they are true. Even if they're not, the place which
should be leading the development of open source Java is, IMHO, Debian,
so we should make these more easily available and encourage their use.

> > Why does this need a proposal?
Sorry, I misunderstood your original email. I now agree completely.

> John Leuner <jewel@pixie.co.za> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 08:51, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > Why are the classes not useable ... ?
>
> Because it's not compatible with the java-policy. The classes are not
> in a jar file and they are not in /usr/share/java. So people should
> put in their classpath /usr/share/classpath/glibj.zip... with all the
> classes, not only the jta, jdbc-ext or swing.
I agree - these should be split into the separate jar files so that e.g.
the swing part can be used by jvms, without using the rest of classpath

--
  .''`. Mark Howard
 : :' :