Re: [PROPOSAL] Add some package from 'classpath'

Hi Mark,

--- Mark Howard <mh@tildemh.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 21:46, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > > 	How complete is libswing-java?
> >
> > http://rainbow.netreach.net/~sballard/japi/
>
> That's impressive.
> Does it work so well in real life? We've had so many people saying that
> swing is not possible with free tools that these pages are somewhat hard
> to believe. I hope they are true. Even if they're not, the place which
> should be leading the development of open source Java is, IMHO, Debian,
> so we should make these more easily available and encourage their use.

Stuart's page only tells you if a method exists, nothing about the quality of
implementation ;) In general, Classpath's Swing is good enough for compiling
against it (as it has a lot of method signatures right), but doesn't
really/fully implement many of the classes.

Every now and then someone comes along and enthusiastically proposes to write a
free as in software Swing implementation, etc. I think a lot of this enthusiasm
could be channeled into actual code if more people were aware that GNU
Classpath already provides a useful framework for Swing development.

My hope is that a classpath-swing package in debian would help direct users and
developers to contribute to the GNU Classpath effort, among all the other nice
things, like bringing more java software into debian-free.

cheers,
dalibor topic