Re: Eclipse

Hi,

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 19:23, Victor Niebla wrote:
> Hi all, has someone succeded on building and using Eclipse with
> Free Vm (like sablevm or kaffe) + Classpath ???

Sure. It works with most of the free runtimes now.
You have your choice of:

- mono + ikvm.net
http://weblog.ikvm.net/PermaLink.aspx/894943be-451e-4d6c-a692-77119eb02d06
(2.1 only as far as I know, but IKVM.NET follows GNU Classpath quite
closely so getting 3.0M4 working should not be that difficult.)

- kaffe
Kaffe from CVS (will become 1.1.3 in one/two weeks) can run Eclipse 2.1
out of the box. 3.0M4 needs some patches (that might or might not make
it for 1.1.3):
http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2003-October/044313.html

- gij (GNU Interpreter for Java which comes with gcj)
Can run both 2.1 and 3.0M4 with some patches to the current CVS tree
(which will become gcc 3.4). See:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-11/msg00024.html

You can also mix and match the above and run Eclipse itself with gij,
but your own projects from Eclipse with kaffe:
http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/eclipse-gcj-kaffe.png

Or combine it with the java-gnome bindings and the Eclipse project
wizard plugin to get a nice free Gnome development environment:
http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/eclipse-gnome-gij.png

The only complete free build that I know of is the RedHat native eclipse
(2.1) source RPMs. The build process takes a long time, but then you
have a very, very fast eclipse. And it can also be used on Debian
systems. http://sources.redhat.com/eclipse/
Hints to get the JDT working out of the box on Debian unstable/x86 with
the above RPMs can be found at:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/eclipse/2003-q3/msg00068.html

Cheers,

Mark