Re: ITP hibernate, hsqldb, xdoclet

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:08:07 -0700
Bear Giles <bgiles@coyotesong.com> wrote:

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

Second, I really have no interest in getting involved in the Debian project directly.
I thought you were. By the way, IMHO these two packages are very
interresting and it's a good idea to have them in Debian.

Not really. I've been doing a lot of packaging work because it ultimately saves me time to let apt do a lot of the work for me. If I can spend a few hours to make each package usable to others, great. But if it takes 20 hours to make it "completely free" then I would rather do the early work and hand it off to somebody else for completion and maintenance.

BTW, I'm mostly concerned with two things:

1) tag libraries. I could spend a month on tag libraries for things like calendar and table layouts, plots and graphs, etc.

2) complete web applications. Nukes, roller, even something like app-fuse. Applications that run under Tomcat that may include dozens of libraries within their own environment.

The latter is one reason why I believe that ultimately the conventional shared library approach is flawed for Java. The industry, or at least the part I'm involved with, is moving towards self-contained WAR or EAR files that have their own copies of all libraries. I only care about hibernate and struts and openjms and the like since I'm developing those WAR and EAR files, but I immediately copy the libraries into my development areas.

Not only do I not have the patience for endless flame wars over
trivial matters,

Lotsa history. Maybe the tone of the maintainer membership has changed, but years ago I was a proponent of truly integrating crypto and there was a huge war between the pragmatists and purists that ended with me (and I believe some other pragmatists) feeling that there was no way we could work with the group.

Maybe things have changed... I recall reading on Slashdot that the Debian constitution was changed so maybe there are more options than a few years ago....

Bear