Re: kaffe-1.1.1 package available for tests

> Additionally, I still question the wisdom of the shared JNI directory.
> >From what I understand, there are different versions of JNI and you
> cannot count on the idea that all JNI libraries are simply going to work
> with all VMs.  It's not clear to me that different versions of JNI can
> even coexist on a single install with the current arrangement. If
> someone can help me see the light on this stuff then I'd be happy to add
> the JNI support.

Putting JNI libraries in /usr/lib/jni cannot possibly create more problems -
before this was implemented people were generally just dropping them in
/usr/lib, which is certainly not an improvement.

> Otherwise I'm going to downgrade #167936 to wishlist and not implement it.

Alternatively, since #167936 is in fact a request to adhere to current Java
policy, you could implement it anyway (since it's certainly not harmful given
the previous /usr/lib behaviour) and propose a better solution for Java
policy.

JNI is far, far from the only compabitility issue that we experience with
the variety of available JVMs.  Because policy is not perfect is not a reason
to downgrade a policy requirement to wishlist and ignore it altogether.

BTW, providing some examples of JNI modules that are incompatible with
various JVMs would help clarify this problem that you are describing.

Ben. :)