Re: kaffe-1.1.1 package available for tests

> Kaffe has RC bugs which are open for 3 months (not counting your bug
> report about /usr/lib/jni) - all of them either include a patch or are
> easy to fix. Kaffe has been removed from testing because of this and now
> keeps other Java packages (like jikes, see #203054) from moving to testing.
>
> The availability of the new upstream release was reported almost 2
> months ago (with a list of bugs that are fixed by this upstream release)
> and I've sent Ean another mail about a month ago. How much longer should
> we wait?

I'm not talking about the (bug report) -> (announce NMU) period.  I'm
talking about the (announce NMU) -> (upload NMU) period.  See my
more than a few days for something as significant as a new upstream
release.

> I think changing the upstream build system is a bad idea, see e.g.
> #162426. You need to check each new upstream version for changes and
> sometimes don't notice missing files in JARs. I'd rather get Ant into
> main as I've written in my answer to #163168.

These are reasons for being careful with the makefiles, not for
abandoning the idea altogether.  A new jython upstream release is always
a lot of work for me (fortunately they're not that common).  But I'm
happy to put in this work to keep jython in main.

I'm not talking about long-term solutions here.  I'm talking about an
interim solution for having java packages in main while ant still sits
in contrib.

Ben.