Re: kaffe-1.1.1 package available for tests

Doesn't a few days seem abnormally short notice for such a major NMU -
not a bugfix but an entire new upstream release?

Yes, maybe this is short. On the other hand, one can take into consideration that the last message of Ean about upgrading (at that time it was to kaffe 1.1.0) was almost two month ago (see #196867). And there has been a mail on this list (which I assume he should read) about problems contacting him.

The gij interpreter is quite advanced and for me works better than kaffe
in almost all cases where I've done a comparison.  There is no reason
(in most cases) that an out-of-date kaffe should be a bottleneck for
packages progressing into main.

In my experience kaffe worked better than gij. I might highly depend on the type of program you are running. Maybe I should also try again with gij.

In any case, kaffe 1.1.0 is much better than 1.0.7, so it would be great to have it in Debian.

Incidentally, several java packages could move from contrib into main if
the maintainers could simply take the time to write their own Makefiles
instead of relying on the default ant build system which is in contrib,
e.g., #163168.  It's a bit of work but it's certainly possible - see
jython for an example.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to focus on making ant go into main? Assuming that needs fixing free JVMs and/or writing library code, it would be work useful to other projects, instead of duplicating work to work-around the issue.

Daniel