Re: JAVA_HOME policy

Greg Wilkins wrote:

So hopefully the tools.jar dependancy will soon be history.
Thus anything done to support it in the short term should clearly
be of a temporary nature.

well, if it's only temporary and we know it won't re-surface, there's no
need to add it to policy.

I think Andrew Pimlott's point is good - I guess the problem has
just moved to ant.  But they appear to have done a better job of
finding tools.jar themselves (Mmmm maybe that is only in their
start script?)

From the ant.sh script:

if [ -n "$JAVA_HOME" ] ; then
 if [ -f "$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar" ] ; then
   LOCALCLASSPATH="$LOCALCLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar"
 fi

[snip]

else
 echo "Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable is not set."
 echo "  If build fails because sun.* classes could not be found"
 echo "  you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable"
 echo "  to the installation directory of java."
fi

which makes things a bit difficult to deal with...

I personally use sun's tools.jar, 'cause it's easier to deal with. I wonder if making an installer script (in non-free, of course) which goes out and gets the j2ee implementation (a la the way the qmail installer is built), rolls a deb, etc. would be in order.

Which does nothing to address the tools.jar dependency, but at least gives a workaround...

glen