Re: JAVA_HOME policy

Joe Phillips wrote:

I haven't delved too deeply into the bowels of JBOSS/Tomcat *yet* but as
I understand it, it contains the java compiler.
Ant is a simpler example.
ant (/usr/share/ant/bin/ant) command is a short shell script worth reading.

The Sun java compiler is written in java.  javac is merely a front-end
to loading and running the correct java code.
The compile step requires a java compiler.  Servlet containers I'm
familiar with (Tomcat, jserv, JBOSS+tomcat) require an external
compiler. AFAIK, they depend on the Sun implementation. I do not know about the
standardization.  My guess is there is no standardization between JDK
vendors.  It *seems* for Sun JDKs, at least the jarfile and class names
seem consistant.  I've never had compiler-related problems running
Tomcat across J2SDKs.
Yes.
Like Ant.
Sun's javac is not the sole Java compiler.
Jikes seems to be an excellent. It is written in C++.
Ant is written so it can deal also with other compilers like Jikes.

From:
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/tooldocs/tools-changes.html:
tools.jar - contains non-core class files for support of the tools and
utilities in the SDK software

I am using Sun's JDK/JRE provided by Blackdown.
I am exporting JAVA_HOME here and there.

But I think that Andrew is right.

Software that relies so strongly on Sun's tools is wrong.
Because:
- Sun's tools are not free.
- tools.jar is by no way a standard.
- Some Java compilers do not have any Java interface.

Debian Java Policy stating about JAVA_HOME or tools.jar will for sure
make our life easier but it is a bad idea.