Re: Packaging a library, with JNI and javadocs

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 11:12:00PM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:

> > Well. It is mostly because to help the build daemons. Many java packages
> > (especially in the contrib section) depend on non-packaged stuff to build
> > the package. So arch independent -java packages are really nice.
>
> I'm not sure I see how this helps the build daemons.  If something depends on
> non-packaged stuff at build time, the build daemons can't build it anyway
> since they won't have the build dependencies available to them.  If something
> doesn't depend on non-packaged stuff at build time then the build daemons
> should be fine regardless of architecture.

It was recently a discussion on debian-policy about this. They was discussing
build-arch vs build-indep. So no right now it is not really useful but maybe
in a short time.

> > I have now taken a _quick_ look at it. Would it be possible to use the
> > .c stuff (arch dependent) stuff outside of java?
>
> Not really.  The C library contains java-specific wrappers.  In fact, all
> that's really in the libreadline-java C library is java-specific wrappers to
> the usual libedit routines.
>
> > Can the java classes be used without the .c (arch dependent) stuff?
>
> No.  They will not function without the C library (the JVM will throw an
> exception if the C library is not available).

Ok. I'm thinking that maybe -java shoud be for "true" java and then
use -jni for everything that is not "true" java.

> > I know I'm in favour of splitting things but I also know that all people
> > are not. :)
>
> I do believe in this instance that neither the java classes nor the C library
> make sense without the other.

Now I'm more convinced of using -jni as extension. Yes I know I'm changing
constantly ;)

Regards,

// Ola