Re: Packaging a library, with JNI and javadocs

Hi

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:35:42AM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:

> > I'm in favor of using the -java for JNI + supporting java classes.
>
> FWIW, I support this also.  But to go into more detail:

I'd like to extend this some.

> > - arch-dependant JNI libraries go into libocf-pcsc and similar,
> > recommending (or depending on - I'll accept suggestions)
> > libocf-pcsc-java (or similar).
>
> In this case however I might argue for something clear in the arch-dependant
> package name that it's a JNI library, eg., libocf-pcsc-jni instead of just
> libocf-pcsc.

I second this.

I also suggest that gcj files go to a package named -gjc. But I also think
that the policy should say 'should' and explain that it in some situations
(if the packages are small and have few dependencies) it might be better
to have just one package.

> The main reason being that (I presume) the C library provides java-specific
> functions and so there seems little reason to use it outside the context of
> JNI.
>
> So I guess my stance is then to either:
> - - use a single package named libfoo-java with both the java classes and the C
> library, or:
> - - use two packages, these being libfoo-java containing the java classes and
> libfoo-jni containing the C library.

And I say that the default thing should be the second one (with addition for
-gcj) unless the package is very small and have very little extra in its
dependencies. Is there something called dependency file size?

> I don't see any particular need to favour only one of these options as policy;
> I can see circumstances where each option (splitting vs not splitting) has
> its benefits.

Agreed. It should be mentioned in the policy.

Regards,

// Ola