Re: Packaging a library, with JNI and javadocs

Hi

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:32:34PM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:

> > Well the -java name extension should only (have I written that in policy?)
> > be used for arch-independent packages. I would recommend an -jni name
> > extension instead.
>
> Hmm.. I packaged libreadline-java (a small JNI library with a couple of
> wrapper classes) with the -java extension as a result of (my understanding
> of) the java policy. :)

Well. It is mostly because to help the build daemons. Many java packages
(especially in the contrib section) depend on non-packaged stuff to build
the package. So arch independent -java packages are really nice.

> Is there a particular reason to distinguish between native Java classes and
> classes with JNI implementations?  As far as whoever's using them is
> concerned, they appear the same, no?

I know to little about jni to answer this.

> The only issue I could think of was that you want the JVM to find the JNI
> library in its default search path; I resolved this by putting the
> corresponding C library in /usr/lib, and this appears to work fine from what
> testing I've done.

If you have suggestions on how this should be done I really look forward
for this kind of stuff. As I said: I do not know very much about JNI... :(

> > > Now, I've packaged a few simple programs before but never Java. Are
> > > there any small packages out there which use JNI I could look at for
> > > examples?
>
> Well, I can offer libreadline-java for you to look at, but that of course
> doesn't mean it's done the Right Way.

:)

I have now taken a _quick_ look at it. Would it be possible to use the
.c stuff (arch dependent) stuff outside of java?

Can the java classes be used without the .c (arch dependent) stuff?

It can be used in main so non-free things is not an issue.

I know I'm in favour of splitting things but I also know that all people
are not. :)

Regards,

// Ola