Re: SUN java

On Wed, 15 May 2002, linux.anc@email.it wrote:

> > Which is ridiculous because the officially provided package from Sun
> > installs fine on a Debian machine.
> yes, it is, but it *seems* an hacking, not a good solution.

Hmm. And how does one see installing an app form source on a
debian-machine? There's a reason for having /usr/local (or /opt).

> Is There a (non-license) motivation for the absence of a .deb for the
> official SUN java?

Due to some legalese[0] Sun's the only one to make such debs available[1]
and making debs is not as trivial as making an rpm, or so I'm told.
And since most debian-users can also use the other two option...

regards,
Thomas

[0] See my other reply.
[1] OK, some debian-eveloper could also create a wrapper arround the
  rpm/tar.gz like is done for flash i.e., but Debian uses more than just
  i386 for a platform.
--

	The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce
	his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic.

	 -- H.L. Mencken