NBIO (Non-blocking I/O)

I find myself with a need for the NBIO package from:

   http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/java-nbio/

which implements non-blocking socket I/O.  It's sort of a precursor to
the nbio functionality that's in the Java 1.4 beta, implemented on top
of standard socket calls like poll().

Has anyone else packaged this privately?  If not, I'm planning on
throwing it into a .deb for myself, to make it easy to move it around to
new machines (its packaging is a little messy, and I'm tired of dealing
with it).

Since this is a native package that results in a .so as well as some
.class files, I need to make sure that the Java runtime environment
knows how to find everything.  Right now, I've installed it off
/opt/local/lib and changed $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and $CLASSPATH, but I
suspect that this is not the way I would do it for a .deb.  Can someone
suggest a good example .deb to look at, as a template for what I need to
do here, as far as file placement, configuration updates, etc.?

If you'd prefer to take this discussion off the list, that's fine, too.
Thanks for the help.

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@ieee.org>