Re: Severe problems with JDK 1.2.2 and potato

Hello Simon,

> I'm having very serious problems with Sun's JDK 1.2.2 (and Blackdown's
> too) with potato on both my i386 and SPARC boxes.
>
> I've followed the installation  instructions supplied with each, but I
> still get  NoClassDefFoundError exceptions even  for simple HelloWorld
> classes.
>
> I believe  the problem is  with /etc/alternatives system.  I  have the
> dummy java compiler and virtual machine installed.
>
> Can someone  help?  I want either  to set up a  configuration file for
> JDK1.2.2  or  to  rip  out  (purge, expunge,  completely  remove)  the
> alternatives for java.   I'd be happy to RTFM is  someone can point me
> to one.
[snip]

I believe the correct solution is to edit /etc/java-vm to read something
like this:

/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/bin/java

At least I have had no problems with the Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 on my potato
machine. I haven't touched my `alternatives' settings.

Regards,

Pontus

--
Pontus Lidman, pontus@mathcore.com, Software Engineer
No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up.