Re: A packaging scheme...

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:39:51AM -0500, Ean R . Schuessler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:58:53AM -0400, Seth M. Landsman wrote:
> > 	Umm, please don't.  This would be wonderful if all systems were
> > debian and hetrogenius.  However, what happens when I try to use my
> > software on a machine that isn't debian, like I do on a daily basis.  This
> > would make java installed via debian impossible to use on any of my debian
> > machines.
> >
> > 	I think it is important that any policy not be destructive, i.e.,
> > keep in mind that not everyone uses debian 24/7, and keep compatibility.
> >
> > -Seth
>
> This would not necessarily be a "debian" policy. It would be a
> reorganization of free code elements into a single, consistent library
> of support routines. It would introduce the practice of moving people's
> code around and the modification of APIs to have consistent interfaces.
>
> This is exactly analgous, however, to what happens in the C and C++ world
> as libraries become popular and are wrapped into a consolidated support
> library like libc and libstdc++.

	Okay, if this happens, and the people whom actually wrote the code
started following this (I think that is doubtful) and packages which do
not follow this standard are still packagable and interoperatable, there
may be a case for it.
	However, are programmers who write this software going to be
willing to do this?  I can't see gnu going with gpl.gnu and lgpl.gnu as
their top level, nor can I see mozilla willing change to mpl.mozilla with
all of their software.

	Of course, I might be wrong.

	The thing is, Sun created a policy which makes a good deal of
sense, which people decided to follow and support.  It makes it real easy
to figure out where a piece of software came from and to ensure that there
won't be namespace conflicts.  I fear that adding the license is
unnecessarily political and won't make sense to the vast majority of java
coders out there.

	Is this policy going to be "optional"?  Are there going to be
allowances for packages which do not follow this naming scheme, or is this
going to be necessary for debain-packaged java classes?

-Seth
--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"