Re: A packaging scheme...

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:58:53AM -0400, Seth M. Landsman wrote:
> 	Umm, please don't.  This would be wonderful if all systems were
> debian and hetrogenius.  However, what happens when I try to use my
> software on a machine that isn't debian, like I do on a daily basis.  This
> would make java installed via debian impossible to use on any of my debian
> machines.
>
> 	I think it is important that any policy not be destructive, i.e.,
> keep in mind that not everyone uses debian 24/7, and keep compatibility.
>
> -Seth

This would not necessarily be a "debian" policy. It would be a
reorganization of free code elements into a single, consistent library
of support routines. It would introduce the practice of moving people's
code around and the modification of APIs to have consistent interfaces.

This is exactly analgous, however, to what happens in the C and C++ world
as libraries become popular and are wrapped into a consolidated support
library like libc and libstdc++.

Ean Schuessler                   An oderless programmer work-a-like
Novare International Inc.                     Silent and motionless
*** WARNING: This signature may contain jokes.