Re: A packaging scheme...

> Instead of org.gnu.regex.Regex you might have lgpl.regex.Regex. The
> nice thing being that you wouldn't see anything in lgpl.* linking in
> something from gpl.*, because that would break the license. There are
> some disadvantages, obviously, but the process of linking is tightly
> coupled with copyright licenses and is also less politically charged
> than organizational attributions. This way, when someone takes over a
> piece of code perhaps they will feel less inclined to completely change
> the package the code lives in to their specific organization.

	Umm, please don't.  This would be wonderful if all systems were
debian and hetrogenius.  However, what happens when I try to use my
software on a machine that isn't debian, like I do on a daily basis.  This
would make java installed via debian impossible to use on any of my debian
machines.

	I think it is important that any policy not be destructive, i.e.,
keep in mind that not everyone uses debian 24/7, and keep compatibility.

-Seth
--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"