Re: Debian Java outlook

Hi folks,
  I am also a lurker and fairly new to the Java-debian scene(watching
the mailing list for a number of months).  I am by profession an
engineer and have worked startups for the last 15 years.
  Perhaps the question of a "Debian Java Policy" might be handled as
part of the creation of a nonexistent non-profit debian-java
fellowship/organization/sub-debian_organization.
  I would like to point out first that there are approximately 50 days
to potato freeze.
  In creating any non-profit business there are certain optimum
guidelines to follow:

)create a steering committee of volunteers to create the infrastructure
of the group -anyone who volunteers should be welcomed cause one can
never have to much assistance.

)communication and documentation - we have the basis of this with the
mailing list.  I would like to point out that we could have real-time
get togethers on IRC, say on one of the #debian-... where there are only
a couple of bots hanging out.  Documentation could be donated by some
kind individuals who have free space on their servers.

)create a mission statement -this is usually a positive upbeat statement
of where you would like to see yourselves going(opening as many
directions for as many people as possible).

)take an inventory of what you have at this moment -businesses that
don't occasionally take inventory usually go bankrupt.  The inventory
should include people/members and product(packages).

)create a "Debian Java Policy" -policies by nature are usually
restrictive, and should be kept as small as possible. An example of
policy would be "Packages must adhere to the GPL to be included in
main."

)public relations and customer relations -without PR there won't be an
influx of new debian-java developers and I have heard complaints on the
mailing list that there aren't enough developers at java-debian.  PR can
be as simple as the statement "debian-java rocks" at the bottom of your
email signature card when corresponding with local JUGs.  Customer
relations would be for instance a system of handling bugs as quickly and
effectively as possible.  Why have just a maintainer to a package?  Why
not a maintainer and a couple of apprentice developers that the
maintainer trusts, etc.

This is just a simple form of possibles.  I'm sure you all know
variations of the same.

I hope I have been of service to you

Jim