Re: Debian Java outlook/ Re: kaffe orphaned?

Bernd Kreimeier Writes:
> Of course, your goals might differ, and with a different
> roadmap, a different policy makes sense. The question I
> tried to ask when the policy proposal came up originally
> was: what is your vision of "Java in Debian"? Is it just
> a bunch of packages to put somewhere, a different compiler
> and runtime environment to manage? Or is it an integral
> part of your ideas of what free, *portable* software should
> look like in 5 or 10 years?

This is a great question.  And one I've been waiting to answer
on this list for a long time.  Thank you for giving me the perfect
opportunity.

The debian-java list and Debian's interaction with Java has been
the only thing that has come close to pushing me away from Debian
entirely.  For the last 2 full years, I've been doing Java
development full time.  Excluding a couple months, I've done all
of that development on Solaris and Linux.  *MY* vision is one where
a java compiler and jvm are installed by a package system, and run
as part of the "default path" (e.g., there is some kind of
/usr/bin/java and /usr/bin/javac).  Next, I would like to see the
ability to install "development" and "runtime" libraries.  I do
a LOT of work with servlets.  So a "servlets.jar" that contained
the servlet api might be good, Apache JServ would be even better.

I have virtually no need for java programs most of the time.  A
java version of ls, find, tar, etc, would not help me at all.
Something libc-like besides 'java.*' class libraries might or might
not help me.  (I find Sun's Java libraries, sufficient for most of
my needs.)

I understand how Sun's proprietary license is in very direct
opposition to Debian policy.  If kaffe or Japhar ever progress to
something I can use, I will.  (And yes, I've tried Kaffe recently
and it does NOT WORK for my application.)  I have finally decided
that I will continue to use Debian, because of all the other reasons
I have used it for years.  As far as doing Java stuff.  I just
install all my Java utilities/libraries by hand.

I mostly lurk on debian-java, because I have an interest in both.
However, I have no immediate hope of those two ever meeting.  If
they do, great.  If not, I'll continue to install the JDK and Jserv
myself.

---- Cris J H