Re: RFC: An alternative to /usr/share/java/repository

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 05:26:55PM +0100, flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:
> > - ease of use for new users (no .bashrc to edit) and for the sysadmin
> > (there is no way in Unix to set a system-wide env. variable), -
> > consistency between a shell into xterm ran by Gnome, a shell made after
> > a telnet/rlogin or a console, which have different initialization files.
>
> You say there's no way in Unix to set a system-wide env variable.Still,
> since this is about Debian, wouldn't it be possible to mandate in the
> policy that each shell would source a common file that sets up env
> variables consistently ? Is there any technical reason that this can't or
> shouldn't be enforced by the policy ?

Actually, this is how most other linux distributions work; included with the
bash package is a HUGE /etc/bash_profile (or whatever it is called..) that
sets a million and one environment variables. It is slow, and from an
administrator's point of view, a bit frustrating. Or at least, in *this*
administrator's POV... :)

I would caution us to stay away from this; it feels like a hack. Why should
we make all the shells source a file just to please some silly java toys? It
isn't very fun.

It also begs the question, do *all* shells need to do this? /bin/sash is
intended mostly for system-recovery (from what I have seen of it) and as a
result, should probably be exempted from sourcing a file full of environment
variables. Should other shells be exempted?

While you are correct, using this technique, it is (mostly) possible to have
system-wide environment variables -- but I am not sure it is worth the cost.
Trust me, it was a huge relief to discover Debian forbid other packages from
mucking with the bash rc scripts, and bash didn't include any nonsense for
them by default. :)

ObDisclaimer: IANADD, IMHO, My$0.02..

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!