Re: RFC: An alternative to /usr/share/java/repository

On Saturday 6 November 1999, at 18 h 14, the keyboard of "Ean R . Schuessler"
<ean@novare.net> wrote:

> I do understand that Debian policy discourages the concept of a
> program requiring that an environment variable be set in order to
> operate sanely.

Note there are several reasons to do so and it may be interesting to remind
them:

- ease of use for new users (no .bashrc to edit) and for the sysadmin (there
is no way in Unix to set a system-wide env. variable),
- consistency between a shell into xterm ran by Gnome, a shell made after a
telnet/rlogin or a console, which have different initialization files.

> through the CLASSPATH environment variable. Stephane's solution has
> been to essentially disable the use of this feature within the Debian
> system.

NO, NO, NO. I never said that. I proposed a way to make CLASSPATH *optional*
(it is currently mandatory to set a proper CLASSPATH).