Re: Japanese support in mutt / KDE and debian in general

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:54:34AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:11:43AM +0200, Guillaume Estival wrote :
> > set-language-env is a wonderful script but can't cope
> > with japanese beginners users. I've done a small web
> > page to know how to set up an english japanese capable
> > debian system:
> > http://dspnet.fr.eu.org/~lonewolf/LinuxJapan/
> >
> > Feel free to report piece of advice for improving the
> > document, it will be welcome.
>
> 	Hi, thank you all for the advices, I am now able to type
> japanese caracters. Basically, I have followed all the steps described
> in Guillaume's document. I will try to make a french summary, as I am
> not sure there is one available...
>
> I have now a new question :
>
> 	The display of the proposed kanjis in the dialog box is quite
> ugly, compared to what they look like in the gnome-terminal (in which
> I can't activate kana).
>
> How can the input display be improved (at least in size)? What are you
> using for your daily usage?

BTW, have you read these pages.

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-l10n

   For example, to enable nice large display of English, Russian, Japanese,
   Chinese, and Korean characters, add following to your ~/.Xresources after
   installing all the pertinent fonts:

      ! set large font
      UXTerm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1
      ! Use XIM for Japanese
      *inputMethod: kinput2

   Then run xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources to update X resources as described in X

Set to a larger font looks better.

Osamu