Re: Japanese support in mutt / KDE and debian in general

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:54:34AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:11:43AM +0200, Guillaume Estival wrote :
> > set-language-env is a wonderful script but can't cope
> > with japanese beginners users. I've done a small web
> > page to know how to set up an english japanese capable
> > debian system:
> > http://dspnet.fr.eu.org/~lonewolf/LinuxJapan/
> >
> > Feel free to report piece of advice for improving the
> > document, it will be welcome.
>
> 	Hi, thank you all for the advices, I am now able to type
> japanese caracters. Basically, I have followed all the steps described
> in Guillaume's document. I will try to make a french summary, as I am
> not sure there is one available...

Well, it may seems weird (I'm french... ;)), but I'm very bad when I
translate my own texts (because my english is really bad... ;_;). Feel
free to make your own version and I'll be pleased to link it up.  You
can use the OOo windows french page for the OOo Linux french page, it's
almost the same thing.

> I have now a new question :
>
> 	The display of the proposed kanjis in the dialog box is quite
> ugly, compared to what they look like in the gnome-terminal (in which
> I can't activate kana).

Which dialog box? OOo?
In the document, I've tryed to have the same font in the windows manager
and the software. For Mozilla and OOo, it seems they are there own
fonts, and I still don't know how to normalise everyone.
Since I don't use gnome, I have no clue about gnome-terminal (gnome
version of xterm/rxvt/kterm?)

> How can the input display be improved (at least in size)? What are you
> using for your daily usage?

for xterm and rxvt, you must fix the font at start, like:
xterm -sb -sl 500 -j -ls -fn 7x14 (small)
xterm -sb -sl 500 -j -ls -fn 10x20 (large)

I think gnome-terminal will have similar options.

For OOo, the UI font seems fixed, and the replacement font size can't be
set with the option menu (or I've missed the tips)
About Mozilla, I've changed the UI font once, but I don't remember how
;_;
If anyone have a clue, I'm looking for it ;)
--
Guillaume "LoneWolf" Estival