Re: mouse

Manuel D said:
> Daniele Andreucci ha scritto:
>> A me e` successa una cosa simile (?) su TravelMate382 Acer
>> (con Debian sarge);
>
> io uso debian sarge official 3.1 stable
>
>> avevo avviato il PC con il mouse USB connesso, poi
>> ho disabilitato il Touchpad synaptic con il tasto apposito.
>
> io non ho il tasto sul portile per disattivarlo, è sempre attivo
>
>> Quando ho riavviato X (con gdm) si e` rifiutato di partire
>> perche', cosi` ho capito dai messaggi di errore---ma sono
>> un profano---non trovava piu` il CorePointer, che infatti
>> in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 e` settato sul Touchpad.
>
> stesso errore, il mio quindi sarà rilevato sul mouse usb. Come faccio a
> settarlo sul touchPad, che sul mio portatile è sempre attaccato e cosi
> evito errori?
> (adesso il touchPad non funziona)
>
> Grazie mille,
> Manuel
> --
> Linux User #392614
> http://counter.li.org

Ti allego il mio file di configurazione, cosi` vedi cosa ho fatto.
Noterai che ho tolto l'opzione "CorePointer" dagli altri mouse
e l'ho aggiunta al touchpad (anche nella Section "ServerLayout").

E` possibilissimo che ci sia ancora qualcosa che non va, ma a me
per ora funziona bene.

Devo dire pero` che il touchpad e il mouse usb piu` o meno
funzionavano anche quando il corepointer era settato sul Mouse,
pero` in effetti peggio (il mouse ogni tanto saltava per esempio).

Pare che se usi il kernel 2.4 *non* debba avere altri input devices
corrispondenti a /dev/psaux, oltre al touchpad. Questo e altro
l'ho visto nei file in
/usr/share/doc/xfree86-driver-synaptics/
da cui ho avuto l'aiuto maggiore.
Ti allego anche uno di questi file.

Auguri, non so se si tratta di informazioni rilevanti anche per il tuo
hardware.

Daniele Andreucci

*********

# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xfree86 package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xfree86
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >/var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
#	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
        Load    "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"it"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "synaptics"
  Identifier    "Synaptics"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
  Option        "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
#  Option       "Repeater"         "/var/run/ps2mouse"
  Option       "SHMConfig"        "on"
  Option        "LeftEdge"      "1700"
  Option        "RightEdge"     "5300"
  Option        "TopEdge"       "1700"
  Option        "BottomEdge"    "4200"
  Option        "FingerLow"     "25"
  Option        "FingerHigh"    "30"
  Option        "MaxTapTime"    "180"
  Option        "MaxTapMove"    "220"
  Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
  Option        "MinSpeed"      "0.06"
  Option        "MaxSpeed"      "0.12"
  Option        "AccelFactor" "0.0010"

  # Generic Settings
  Option        "CorePointer"
  Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
#	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	HorizSync	28-49
	VertRefresh	43-72
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

********************

Trouble-shooting guide
- ----------------------

Contents
- --------

1. Check that the touchpad is correctly detected by the kernel
2. Check that an external PS/2 mouse isn't causing problems
3. Check if some other program is using the /dev/psaux device
4. Check that the evdev kernel driver is available
5. Check that the synaptics driver is properly loaded by the X server

1. Check that the touchpad is correctly detected by the kernel

If you are using a 2.6 linux kernel, check the /proc/bus/input/devices
file. The touchpad must be identified a "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
or an "AlpsPS/2 ALPS TouchPad". If it is identified as a "PS/2 Generic
Mouse" or "PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad", something is wrong.

Possible fixes:

1. Check your BIOS settings. Some BIOSes can do USB -> PS/2 mouse
   emulation which can interfere with the touchpad. There may be a way
   to disable the legacy mouse emulation from the BIOS setup program.

2. Arrange so that the kernel initializes the USB subsystem before the
   PS/2 touchpad. Initializing the USB mouse sometimes disables the
   BIOS emulation. Compiling psmouse as a module and loading it in
   /etc/rc.d/rc.local usually assures the USB is initialized first.

3. Disconnect the USB mouse and restart the computer. (Not really a fix,
   but can help when trying to figure out what's wrong.)

4. Make sure your boot loader doesn't pass any parameter to the kernel
   that disables mouse extensions. ("psmouse_proto=bare" for example).
   Alternatively, if psmouse is compiled as a module, make sure that
   modprobe doesn't pass such parameters. Check /etc/modprobe.conf and
   "rmmod psmouse; modprobe -v psmouse".

If you run a 2.4 kernel or an non-linux kernel, the
/proc/bus/input/devices file is not available, but the BIOS setting
could be relevant anyway.

2. Check that an external PS/2 mouse isn't causing problems

If you want to use an external PS/2 mouse at the same time as the
synaptics touchpad driver, you must use a 2.6 linux kernel and your
hardware (keyboard controller) must support active multiplexing. You
should see something like this when the computer boots:

       mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
       i8042.c: Detected active multiplexing controller, rev 1.1.
       serio: i8042 AUX0 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
       serio: i8042 AUX1 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
       serio: i8042 AUX2 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
       serio: i8042 AUX3 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

If you don't use a 2.6 kernel or your hardware doesn't support active
multiplexing, you can't use an external PS/2 mouse together with the
touchpad driver.

3. Check if some other program is using the /dev/psaux device

If you use a 2.4 linux kernel, only one program at a time can reliably
read from /dev/psaux. This means that if you for example have GPM
running, it will probably prevent the synaptics driver from working
correctly. It also means that if you have a second InputDevice in your
X configuration file, it must not read from /dev/psaux. You probably
want it to read from /dev/input/mice instead, which will handle USB
mice in both 2.4 and 2.6 linux kernels, and both USB and external PS/2
mice if you use a 2.6 kernel.

The 2.6 linux kernel fixes the /dev/psaux shortcoming, so that you can
safely run GPM and the synaptics driver at the same time.

4. Check that the evdev kernel driver is available

If you are using a 2.6 linux kernel, the evdev kernel driver is needed
for the X driver to be able to communicate with the kernel driver.
Check the /proc/bus/input/devices file. The Handlers= line should
contain an event device name, like this:

	H: Handlers=mouse0 event0

If there is no event handler, you either have to load the evdev kernel
module or recompile the kernel and build it into the kernel. If you
don't want to recompile the kernel, adding "/sbin/modprobe evdev" to
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit usually works.

5. Check that the synaptics driver is properly loaded by the X server

The X log file is usually called /var/log/XFree86.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. It should contain something like this:

	(II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
	(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o
	(II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
	        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
	        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4

If the LoadModule line is missing, you probably forgot to add

	Load "synaptics"

to the "Module" section in the X config file, or you modified the
wrong config file. Some systems that have been upgraded from XFree86
to Xorg or from XFree86 3.x to XFree86 4.x can have multiple config
files in the /etc/X11/ directory, but only one is used.

Next, check that the log file also contains a line like this:

	(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.4

If there is no such line, there is probably a binary compatibility
problem between the synaptics driver and the X server.

1. Try upgrading to the latest synaptics driver.

2. Try installing the X SDK package if it is available for your
   version of X. (In Fedora Core 2, that package is called
   xorg-x11-sdk-6.7.0-2.i386.rpm.) Then re-compile the synaptics
   driver and try again.

--
[ Daniele Andreucci
[ Dip. di Metodi e Modelli Matematici