Re: x345 and new drives with data

Hello Mariusz Kruk,

> If I understand you right, you just plugged the disk into the machine but
> didn't configure it in anyway and therefore it isn't part of any array, right?

No, when I started the ServRAID CD, I jumped over the  point,  where  it
ask, whether the erase all drives to start a new configuration.

In the manager, I selected the new drive and added it  and  now  I  have
three drives:

A)  /dev/sda    Raid 1 (2 x  73 GByte)  ID0 + ID1
B)  /dev/sdb    Raid 5 (3 x 147 GByte)  ID2 + ID3 + ID4

C)  /dev/sdc    Volume (1 x 147 GByte)  ID5
                This is what I have added as pure volume and
                later I will declare ID5 as HotSpare for B)

> If I remember correctly, if you don't make a logical drive (in case of a

Not right, it ia the Logical drive "C" and as such shown under Debian

> single disk you have to make a degraded RAID-1 IIRC, or a single-disk RAID-0 -
> I'm not sure) from it, the controller won't show the disk to the OS.

It is shown correctly.

> But you say that you see a disk but no partitions. So I'm a bit puzzled what
> do you see and what you don't see.

It is REALY empty as someone has "shred" the drive  entirely.  But  this
can not be, since I simple CPU failure on the old NEC Server  would  not
do such damage.

> As I understand, you have bays ID0-ID5 filled with new disks and you already
> configured your array and created logical disks which are seen by the OS ok,
> right?

See above.

> What else can you see from the OS? (and what does the RaidMan say? Can be run
> from OS, or from the ServeRAID support CD - results should be the same :->).
> Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something, please clarify then :-)

Please read my explanation above.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL       itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack            Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz                 Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France           77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil         Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de