Re: [Semi-OT] Public FiberOptic Network (Manufacturers)

Hello Henrique,

thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Am 2009-04-01 21:44:45, schrieb Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> I have to agree: for large capilarity, GPON (or better yet, GEPON) is
> a very good idea.  It allows you to deliver reasonable bandwidth at
> much smaller costs if you have hundreds of sites to connect (let alone
> for thousands).

After searching the  Internet,  it  seems  it  is  exactly  what  I  was
searchin for.

> I do _not_ know if GPON and GEPON are going to cut it for the German
> law requirements.  The topology is highly assimetric re.  upstream
> versus downstream bandwidth, and the network design can have very
> different levels of oversubscription, so check that first.

Yes, it is waht we need here...
Downstream 100 MBit and upstream 2 MBit.

Since HDTV is transfered over UDP, the upstream can be very low

> Whatever you do, you should have a real backbone of single-mode fiber
> cable to connect the various POPs.  And you should make sure you have
> at least two paths to each POP, because you _will_ have fiber cuts,
> often more than one at the same time.

Since <http://www.gasline.de/> has an existing Infrasucture of ringlines
two connectiopns per POP/village is no problem otherwise  we  could  run
into legall issues if our users starting to use VoIP and disabling there
old POTS...

> Typically, one uses a mix of stars and rings for the backbone (if a
> dual ring is not enough to cover all interesting POPs), where each
> spoke or ring segment is done using two cables going through diverse
> paths that never cross.

This is already checked by me and GasLINE and fit our needs.

> Also, laying the fiber cable is almost always a lot more expensive
> than the cable itself inside a city (short hauls, lots of annoying

20-40 Euro/meter over land
50-90 Euro/meter in the city

> issues to lay the cable), so it pays off to not go cheap on the
> backbone and get very good self-healing (if possible, armored) cables
> with a decent number of fiber cores per cable.

In the cities we have already empy Double-Tubes in the sidewalks.  These
are owned bx the villages/cities and can be used for free.

> You can do with a lot less fiber when using DWDM, but DWDM that you
> can count on to keep your backbone working with a decent number of
> nines is _very_ expensive.  It is good for long hauls (like inter-city
> ones), though.

I have already read a bunch of this technology, but it is very  new  and
currently I do not know...

> The G*PON last-mile links are built the cheapest you can do and still
> keep it running without too much downtime, though.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strasbourg/France
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)                     Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886                                Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193