Re: [Semi-OT] Public FiberOptic Network (Manufacturers)

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> The difficulty is, that some peoples have  read  on  the  Internet  that
> there is a new technology which permit to transfer 10 times as with  the
> technology we are using today...
>
> But, while reading the Websites from CISCO and others, this tecnology is
> currently only for testing and not production ready before 2-3 years...

You'll find yourself dealing with the chinese for fiber broadband at
decent cost, not Cisco.

> The current plan is to install the "Alvarion BreezeACCESs VL" which give
> customers up to 6/4 MBit in a distance of up to  8 km  where  the  total
> bandwidth is arround 30 MBit.

For that, you could use well established GPON and have _real_ 10Mbit/s over
FTTH.  The radio is certainly going to be much cheaper, though.

> Currently Rolf and Me are not planing more then Internet Access and VoIP
> but we should consider HDTV Streaming too

That's even more reason to look at GPON and GEPON.  Unless you're planning
to do what the cable companies like to do here in Brazil and push to your
customers low bitrate streams that look so shitty, it reminds me of bootleg
VCDs.

  Henrique Holschuh