Re: 32bit or 64bit?

Marek Podmaka wrote:

> 2) Is it possible to run 64bit kernel, but 32bit
> application/libraries/everything? (So just recompiling kernel). If
> possible, is it better than 32bit kernel + 32bit apps?

Yes; in fact you don't have to do your own compilation; you can apt-get
install the linux-image-amd64 package -- on an otherwise 32-bit
(userspace) system. Providing, of course, your Intel CPU is 64-bit capable.

In general, I've found no reason to run the 64bit distribution on COTS
Intel/AMD servers, but I have had occasion to run the 64bit kernel (i.e.
servers with lots of RAM). But even that may be accomplished with
linux-image-686-bigmem instead.

-Matt Cuttler