Re: 32bit or 64bit?

--On May 6, 2008 4:55:34 PM +0200 Marek Podmaka <marki@marki-online.net> wrote:

Hello all,

I just yesterday learned that my Xeons are in fact 64bit, so I have
few questions about it...

1) What is the performance gain between running 32bit and 64bit linux
on 64bit capable CPU? I'm running Etch with apache+php+mysql. Is it
worth upgrading?

Probably none. What you gain mostly from an ISPs perspective is much bigger memory support. For database servers this can be extremely important. In 32bit you can have more than 4GB of memory (through PAE) but each process can only have 2GB or 3GB. Also PAE is slower than directly accessing additional memory because you are Paging memory in and out of a window.

2) Performance is gained just by compiling the same source code into
64bit binary? Or are the main apps (apache/php/mysql) optimized in
source code to benefit explicitly from 64bit?

No, and in general, no.

2) Is it possible to run 64bit kernel, but 32bit
application/libraries/everything? (So just recompiling kernel). If
possible, is it better than 32bit kernel + 32bit apps?

Yes, amd64 variant of debian has 32bit libs so you can run 32bit based apps.

3) Is it somehow possible to upgrade the 32bit debian into 64bit?
Preferably with as little downtime as possible...

I don't know. Maybe? It's technically not an upgrade at all, but an architecture change. Someone else on the list might know, but it's nothing I've ever tried.

   many thanks :)

--
  bYE, Marki