Re: 32bit or 64bit?

* Marek Podmaka schrieb am 06.05.08 um 16:55 Uhr:
> Hello all,
>
> I just yesterday learned that my Xeons are in fact 64bit, so I have
> few questions about it...
>
> 1) What is the performance gain between running 32bit and 64bit linux
> on 64bit capable CPU? I'm running Etch with apache+php+mysql. Is it
> worth upgrading?

For mysql it *might* be worth. How much RAM do these machines have?
If its less than 4GB its not worth upgrading. IMO its even better to
use x86 for those systems.

> 2) Performance is gained just by compiling the same source code into
> 64bit binary? Or are the main apps (apache/php/mysql) optimized in
> source code to benefit explicitly from 64bit?

Databases *might* perform a bit better because of 64bit integers they
can use.

> 2) Is it possible to run 64bit kernel, but 32bit
> application/libraries/everything? (So just recompiling kernel). If
> possible, is it better than 32bit kernel + 32bit apps?

Its possible. The advantage is that you could run 64bit apps in a
64bit chroot environment then for example.

> 3) Is it somehow possible to upgrade the 32bit debian into 64bit?
> Preferably with as little downtime as possible...

I guess not.

HTH

-Marc
--
8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317  3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134