Re: Non-debian tools for fetching DEB packages?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:28:35PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> >I'm curious, however.  What is the advantage to using debtakeover and
> >debootstrap instead of a regular install to that partition?
> >
> You mean... *besides* the fact that I have no physical access to the
> machine and have no way of accessing with the drives *other* than by an
> ssh session into the (currently Fedora) box? No reason, really. :)

Sorry for my ignorance but what about:

	setting up for hd-media boot with the netinst.iso per the
	install manual

	Set up fedora's boot loader to have an option to boot the
	hd-media.

	Have some sort of pre-seeding so that you get the ssh server
	going.  There's an option early in the install where you get
	ssh server working so that you can complete the install via ssh.

I just re-read Etch's install manual about debootstrap method and its
very lean.  I wouldn't want to try if I was sitting beside the computer,
yet alone via an ssh from the other side of the world (really or
figurativly).  Personally, I'd install a modem (pay someone there to
hook it up if need be) so I could dial in then run the install via
hd-media/netinst.iso via serial console via the modem.

But then again, I'm old-fashioned that way.

Good luck.

Doug.