Re: Non-debian tools for fetching DEB packages?

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 02:39:04PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:41:29PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> > The one I'm currently working on has to do with the fact that
> > debootstrap (which debtakeover invokes to do most of the work) doesn't
> > grab any of the net-tools or other networking stuff or apt or aptitude.
> > dpkg *is* installed.... but I'm going to need a way to get the DEB's
> > without using apt, etc.
> > [...]
> > Ideas, anybody?
>
> are you sure that debootstrap doesn't install apt? that's a bit
> surprising, since it's such a core component of debian (and has been for
> several years)....you can (in theory) run debian without apt, but nobody
> does. and all of the scripts in /usr/lib/debootstrap mention apt as a
> base or required package.

I don't know about Etch, and I could never get Sarge's installer to
work, but on Woody, basedebs.tar.gz (or whatever it was called) didn't
include aptitude or apt but it did include dselect.  So when I was
installing woody from floppies (believe it or not), I would install the
base system only, then run dselect to get aptitude, then use aptitude
from then on.

You may also find that you have wget which you can use to get the DEBs
(via either ftp or http).

I'm curious, however.  What is the advantage to using debtakeover and
debootstrap instead of a regular install to that partition?

Doug.