dovecot-auth

Hi!

I'm trying to setup SASL-authentication with Postfix & dovecot. We use
dbmail for mail storage and imap- and pop3- services, so we need
dovecot only to perform authentication at smtp level. So, we have only
dovecot-common package installed on a machine. Comment in
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf says:

# Protocols we want to be serving: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
# If you only want to use dovecot-auth, you can set this to "none".
#protocols = imap imaps

We have 'protocols = none', so I expect that when I start dovecot, it
will only launch dovecot-auth. But, it still wants imap:

$ sudo /usr/sbin/dovecot
Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file
or directory

Is this possible at all to have only dovecot-auth running? (Either
with current version of dovecot in Debian, or with latest dovecot..)
The system is Debian Etch, version of dovecot is 1.0.rc15-2etch1.

Here are all non-comment options in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:

protocols = none
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_extra_groups = mail

auth default {
  mechanisms = digest-md5 cram-md5 ntlm rpa apop
  passdb sql {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  }
  userdb sql {