Re: dovecot-auth

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:45:24PM +0500, Timur Irmatov wrote:
> I'm trying to setup SASL-authentication with Postfix & dovecot. We use
> dbmail for mail storage and imap- and pop3- services, so we need
> dovecot only to perform authentication at smtp level. So, we have only
> dovecot-common package installed on a machine. Comment in
> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf says:
>
> # Protocols we want to be serving: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
> # If you only want to use dovecot-auth, you can set this to "none".
> #protocols = imap imaps
>
> We have 'protocols = none', so I expect that when I start dovecot, it
> will only launch dovecot-auth. But, it still wants imap:
>
> $ sudo /usr/sbin/dovecot
> Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file
> or directory
>
> Is this possible at all to have only dovecot-auth running? (Either
> with current version of dovecot in Debian, or with latest dovecot..)
> The system is Debian Etch, version of dovecot is 1.0.rc15-2etch1.

it's not exactly what you want, but you could try setting up dovecot's
imapd to listen on a different port, and only on 127.0.0.1.

the comments in the package's dovecot.conf and the documentation under
/usr/share/doc/dovecot-common/ will tell you how.

e.g. to have imap listen on 127.0.0.1, port 33333:

in the main section of dovecot.conf:

protocols=imap

and in the "protocol imap { ... }" section:

listen=127.0.0.1:33333

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #426:

internet is needed to catch the etherbunny