Re: Strange module load behaviour

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:59:15PM +0200, Carlos Acedo wrote:
> I have installed Debian sarge (from a custom made CD with kernel 2.6.18)
> in a Sun Fire X4100 M2 server with a hardware RAID1.

etch just got released.  you might want to try that instead.

> When Debian boots, the disc name is either sda or sdb (in the
> installation is all ways sdb though), this obviously makes Debian
> unbootable when the fstab doesn't match the disc device name.
>
> It seems that is related to the module load order, when it loads
> usb_storage before the disc module, the disc is sdb, but the other way
> around is sda. Adding usb_storage to blacklist partially solves the
> problem, it seems like in single user mode blacklist is not red
>
> Any hint on this? can I decide de module load order?

list the modules that you want loaded in /etc/modules, in the order you
want them loaded.

note: this assumes you're not running with an initrd image. i don't use
them, but i imagine that they will affect module load order because
that's essentially the whole point of initrd - to load modules from a
ramdisk image that are needed to boot the system.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

You can't depend on the man who made the mess to clean it up.
		-- Richard Nixon, 1952