Re: Mail clustering

--On March 20, 2007 4:14:40 PM +0100 Cherubini Enrico <kevin@bestkevin.com> wrote:

Good day,
we have 2 mail server, one with antispam/antivirus services and another
one without them, both with postfix and another server with mysql db
backend storing login/password. We are happy with this, but needing to
increase performance, we are looking for load balancing solutions. The
first wat I was thinking about, is to move the storing from the servers
to a single NFS server, and use the mail/pop3 server just as "engine"
that check
login/password on the mysql db and access data in the NFS and load balance
with dns round robin through the various servers I can use as frontend.
The uplink is a 34Mbps so I don't think NFS is a problem for performances.
Servers are different, the antivirus/antispam is only for receiving, while
the other(s) is(are) for both receive and send.

Do you think this would be a good solution ? Is there a better solution
than round robin (ie, perdition or iptables with DNAT based on
stattistical redirection) ?

Historically atleast storing mail on NFS has been dicey at best. Maildir kinda seems to tolerate it. Mbox format will not tolerate it. What we do here is use a cyrus MURDER cluster with multiple machines dedicated to being backend/storage and multiple machines dedicated to frontent/proxy duty, and then a bunch of machines doing SMTP+SPAM+AV (postfix, mailscanner, spamassassin) scanning for all the incoming mail. They deliver to the actual backends via cyrus' LMTP.

Bye Enrico

E' un ottimo sport mattutino per un ricercatore mandare al diavolo
ogni mattina prima di colazione un'ipotesi prediletta: mantiene giovani.
		-- Konrad Lorenz, "Il cosiddetto male"

Michael Loftis
Modwest Operations Manager
Powerful, Affordable Web Hosting