Re: Debian modules

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:38:22AM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>> "Rolling your own" shouldn't be an answer, it sounds more like an
>> excuse for bad design.  I don't mind
>
> if by "rolling your own",  you mean "compile your own kernel" then that is
> ALWAYS an answer.

The only problem with "rolling your own" is that when there is a kernel
update, or more importantly, a security fix, you then have to go back
through the build for each machine again. I only build special kernel's
when I have something that needs to work at max efficiency. That is NOT
the way to go for a bunch of servers. The tradeoff between kernel
efficiency and update efficiency is not worth it.

The only time it is worthwhile to "roll your own" is when you have a need
for something other than the lame 2.6.8 kernel, or when you have a machine
that will be running 99% of its resources and you want to give it one or
two percent more to play with.