Re: Debian modules

Jim Popovitch wrote:
Roberto Sanchez wrote:
Jim Popovitch wrote:
I've installed Debian Sarge on a few *servers*, and I see that the
default kernel loads many more modules than I need (snd_*, floppy,
vesafb, etc.)  Is there a way to prevent Sarge from loading a bunch of
crap automatically?

You can just blacklist the devices for which you don't want modules loaded. Check the hotplug documentation for details.

Thanks, but no thanks. ;-)

This is a server, and I see no reason to run hotplug on a server (same for discovery, PCMCIA, yada, yada, yada). In fact I think hotplug on a server is a security risk because it allows anyone in the datacenter to walk up with a USB dongle and possibly wreak havoc.

Any other ways to stop the kernel/boot-process from thinking this is a desktop that needs a bunch of fru-fru stuff loaded?

I don't get it. As far as I know, the only way that Debian autodetects hardware is either through hotplug or discover. If you are not running those, then I don't know how they are getting autoloaded. Did they get autodetected during the install? If so, and you are not running some other hardware autodetection mechanism, they may just be listed in /etc/modules. If that is the case, you can remove or comment out the lines for the modules you no longer want loaded.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto