Re: Debian modules

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:38:22AM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> "Rolling your own" shouldn't be an answer, it sounds more like an
> excuse for bad design.  I don't mind

if by "rolling your own",  you mean "compile your own kernel" then that is
ALWAYS an answer.

IMO, the stock debian kernels (actually the stock kernels for ANY
distro) should be used for one thing and one thing only - to install the
system with. then you should immediately compile a kernel configured for
the exact hardware it's running on (plus a handful of common network
card modules to make it easy to replace a dead nic with whatever you can
get your hands on quickly).

download the original linux kernel sources from kernel.org and use that
- it's better than the crappy butchered debian kernel which has suffered
greatly from cretinous ideological savagery.

> rolling my own kernel for a home PC, but hundreds of servers with
> differing hardware... what a waste of time.

come up with a kernel configuration (or set of configs) which will work
on all of your various servers. compile kernel packages using make-kpkg
(in kernel-package) on your fastest machine and ship them out to the boxes
where they are needed using scp.  install with dpkg.

it's not as difficult or as time-consuming as you think it is. in fact,
using kernel-package, it's easy.

> Even Redhat gives you a way to control which modules load, I can't
> believe this isn't an option on Debian.

of course debian gives you a way to control what modules are loaded.  look at
/etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf

> Debian systems should honor /etc/modules, and *not* continue to load
> everything else.

/etc/modules tells a system what TO load, not what NOT TO load. see
modules.conf for that.

you want entries like "alias module_name off" for modules that you don't
ever want loaded.  see the docs for more details.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)