Re: Apache .wmv file help

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 07:55:53PM +0800, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
> > On Oct 16, Andy Davidson illuminated :
>
> > I don't really know how feasible this is, but I have seen Video
> > distributed as Flash content.  This is non-free and clunky, and might
> > stop all but the most determined people from storing and
> > redistributing this content ?
>
> there are plugins for Firefox explicitly designed to combat such things.
> It's not even particularly clunky to use the video-grabber.  Not
> everyone will have it or even know it though ;)
> As previously said, if you can view it, you can save it.

yep, if you can view it, you can save it.

the VideoDownloader plugin is easy to find and install. you can find it
on http://addons.mozilla.org/ (according to which it is the 3rd most
popular plugin, after NoScript and FlashGot), or you can go to its home
page at http://videodownloader.net/ , it works on most video sites
(incl. google video, youtube, myspace, and lots more).

this is how i routinely view Flash (and all other) videos when i
encounter them. with everything else my home adsl link is doing,
streaming really sucks - motion and audio are both jerky and erratic,
with long delays to buffer enough to display. so i save it to /tmp and
view it later with a standalone flash-player. if it's interesting enough
to want to view again or show to someone else, i mv it to somewhere more
permanent.

and, i'm no expert on Flash, but i'd bet that it's possible to extract
the video content from a flash file and transcode it to whatever format
you like. can't remember the name, but i know of at least one Flash
decompiler.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)