Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 07:38:14PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 04:00:15PM +1000, CaT wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:33:13PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > well then, you finally figured out how to get mail working correctly
> > > from a dynamic IP address - use a smarthost. preferably one under your
> > > own control.
> >
> > Wow. And here I thought an IP address was an IP address, each as capable
> > as the other of being an IP address.
>
> just shows how wrong you can be, doesnt it?

Please feel free to kill the attitude at any time. If you have something
to say, say it without the spittle.

> the fact that it is technically possible to run a mail server on a
> dynamic ip address doesnt mean that it is practical to do so. even

Depends on the purpose you're going to put it to.

> aside from DULs making it difficult to send mail directly with any
> reliability, it is actually impossible to reliably receive mail via smtp

I think you're confusing dynamic IPs with your desire to deny people
behind them the ability to send mail out of servers running behind them.
There is nothing about a dynamic IP that makes outgoing mail unreliable,
the peculiar attitude of some people aside.

> direct to a dynamic IP - dynamic dns just doesnt cut it for MX records

That's neither here nor there and not at all relevant.

> similarly, you cant reliably run a web server or any other kind of
> server on a dynamic IP address.

This too is neither here nor there and not at all relevant (nor 100%
accurate).

> something that only works sometimes may be acceptable for a home user
> that doesnt reaaly care that much, but they should just accept the fact
> that they're only paying for a "best effort" level of service and quit
> whinging about the fact that nobody cares any more than they do (and
> probably considerably less).

Nobody? I think you're giving your personal opinion more weight then it
may necessarily have.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."