Re: Moving web server to new IP

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:38:23AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:50:55AM +1000,
>  Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote
>  a message of 87 lines which said:
>
> > if you don't want to use a CNAME (and there are pros and cons - e.g.
> > dont do it if you want an MX record pointing at the same IP), but
> > still don't want to manually edit 250 zone files, you can use perl
> > to change them all in one go.
>
> If someone manages 250 domains, he typically does not edit them by
> hand, they are produced by a program, no?

maybe or maybe not.  probably not.  in my experience, usually not.

lots of people do things the hard manual way - often because they think
doing it the easy way (via a script) is a lot harder than it actually
is. and because they dont have the discipline to plan in advance what
they are going to do, which is an essential step in optimising any
procedure. and because it has never occurred to them that a zone file
is, like ANY other text config file, just textual data which can be
generated and manipulated by a script.

> Otherwise, it's like writing a program with 250 modules and defining
> the same constant in each module!

yes.  but people do it.

fortunately, sometimes all it takes is just to show people that
there's a better way and that it isnt that hard, and they adopt it
enthusiastically.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)