Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 10:10:45PM +1000, CaT wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 07:38:14PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > >
> > > Wow. And here I thought an IP address was an IP address, each as
> > > capable as the other of being an IP address.
> >
> > just shows how wrong you can be, doesnt it?
>
> Please feel free to kill the attitude at any time. If you have
> something to say, say it without the spittle.

oh diddums. you poor boy. did you get upset because i met your sarcasm
with more of my own? how sad for you.

if you can't stand the heat then stop leaping into the fire.

> There is nothing about a dynamic IP that makes outgoing mail
> unreliable, the peculiar attitude of some people aside.

yes there is.  two things at least: DULs and port 25 blocking by ISPs.

> > direct to a dynamic IP - dynamic dns just doesnt cut it for MX
> > records
>
> That's neither here nor there and not at all relevant.
>
> > similarly, you cant reliably run a web server or any other kind of
> > server on a dynamic IP address.
>
> This too is neither here nor there and not at all relevant (nor 100%
> accurate).

quit being so stupid. it's entirely relevant. and completely accurate.

the fact is that smtp servers on dynamic ip addresses do not and can
not work reliably. sending mail is unreliable due to DUL and port 25
blocks by ISPs and receiving mail is unreliable because MX records are
unreliable (i.e. there are several *unavoidable* failure modes) when
they point at dynamic IP addresses via dynamic-DNS hostnames.

your claim was that a dynamic IP address is just as good as a static
one - that's clearly false. it may be technically possible to run all
the same services on a dynamic IP as on a static IP, but on a practical
real-world level they just aren't going to work anywhere near as well.

for mail to work reliably on a dynamic IP address you need a smarthost
- whether an smtp or batched-smtp smart-host (for sending) or uucp (for
sending and receiving). uucp works best for dynamic IP and dialup mail
hosts - it's one of the things it was designed for.

you can blind yourself to these facts and pretend that they aren't real
but that is not going to change them.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)