Re: More sorbs blacklisting

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 09:11:19PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 08:50:07PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> > I am having the same problem. My mail server is neither an open relay
> > nor a source of spam, but the IP block containing it was blacklisted
> > by SORBS on May 18 purely on the grounds that the owner of SORBS
> > doesn't like the look of the generic rDNS for that block,
>
> So you're a geek running a mail server on the end of a DSL whose ISP
> itself classes it as "dynamic" when people ask, and you think
> posting to debian-isp is in some way going to help you?  I
> sympathise with your position and motivations but unfortunately this
> is not that kind of Internet any more.

Yes, I suppose I am "clutching at straws" to some extent :-)

I was hoping for a bit of clarification as to whether my IP is
"officially" dynamic or static according to RIPE. The response from my
ISP was:

> Although this address is allocated to yourself on a static basis, it
> is registered as a dynamic address as it may be allocated to a
> different customer in the future. This is in accordance with the RIPE
> guidelines on IP address allocation.

However, when I run "whois 213.162.113.17" there is nothing in the
output to indicate that the IP is "registered" as either dynamic or
static, as far as I can see. The same applies to the OP's IP, which
seems to be allocated just as statically to him as mine is to me, and
you seemed to think there was some hope in that case.

Am I missing or misinterpreting something in the whois output, or is
whois not definitive anyway as to whether an IP is "registered" as
dynamic or static? If the latter, what is definitive?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons