Re: More sorbs blacklisting

> Pigeon wrote:
> > My mail server is neither an open relay nor a source of spam
> > pigeon.dyndns.org
>
> # host pigeon.dyndns.org
> pigeon.dyndns.org has address 213.162.113.17
>
> # host 213.162.113.17
> 17.113.162.213.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pigeon.adsl.metronet.co.uk.
>
> # host pigeon.adsl.metronet.co.uk.
> Host pigeon.adsl.metronet.co.uk not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> Your IP has reverse DNS, but no forward DNS.

I know. :-) Seems to me that's the best I can do unless I go to the
trouble of formally registering a domain name with a domain name
registry service. The problem with that is partly that I've had
pigeon.dyndns.org for a few years now - well, I guess I could keep
that for the website and use the "formal" one for mail - but mainly
that it would mean exposing my postal address for the world to see,
unless I rent a PO box number, which is not totally secure and AFAIK
fearfully expensive.

> That just doesn't cut it anymore.  The days when computer geeks can put
> a mail server on a dsl connection and expect to deliver mail, are over.
> There's so much garbage coming from dsl connections nowadays, that many
> ISP's block all mail originating from dsl and/or dynamic IPs.  It's 98%
> (or more) spam/virus/garbage anyway, so who cares if they lose 1% or 2%
> which isn't?

85% of ALL email is said to be spam :-) Who cares? The customers, when
they find out they've not been receiving emails that they should have
done. Trouble is most of the time they don't find out, so don't
complain...

> You can either relay mail thru your ISP's server

I do this as a workaround for particular hosts where there is known to
be a problem. Other hosts I send to direct, so that I can keep all
queueing and errors on my own machine and deal as directly as possible
with any problems.

> or rent a VPS where you have an IP address with matching forward and
> reverse DNS, and run a real mail server there.

That seems to be fearfully expensive, and again removes a certain
element of control over the server from me. If my server goes down I
have a bunch of spare computers which I can plug in and be up and
running again with minimal delay. If it's someone else's machine it
stays down until they get round to fixing it.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons