From: Thomas Goirand [mailto:thomas@goirand.fr]
Sent: Friday, 24 February 2006 1:52 PM
To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Which mail server?

Serhan D. KIYMAZ wrote:
> Hi,
> I've installed qmail, dovecot, vpopmail, clamav, spamassain for mail
> sending and receiving on a RH EL4 server.
> Tomorrow I'll setup a new Debian server and move mail server on that
> machine.
> Dovecot IMAP works perfect with Outlook, but it doesn't support ACL.
> Courier has problems with Outlook. I never tried Cyrus before but it
> supports ACL. Is there known Outlook issues with Dovecot?
Dovecot is a lot faster than courier, no need to bench, you can even
feel it using a webmail.
> Is qmail is good enough or do I have to choose postfix or exim? Which
> one and why?
Qmail is pretty good, but the stock qmail-src package given by Debian is
IMHO not enough to have a good setup. I suggest that you have a look to
qmail-spp or qmail-rocks package and compile from source. Postfix has
the good advantage to be available as binary with all needed options.
Something like that will give you a working system very fast:

apt-get remove exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
nfs-common portmap pidentd pcmcia-cs pppoe pppoeconf ppp pppconfig pidentd

apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-tls sasl2-bin libsasl2
libsasl2-modules mlmmj courier-authmysql courier-imap courier-pop
courier-maildrop squirrelmail

The only real problem I found with Dovecot is that I found no way of
doing traffic accounting with it (it doesn't even log it).

Thomas

--
http://www.gplhost.com
GPLHost:>_ Open source hosting worldwide