Re: Best file system

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2006.02.04.0022 +0100]:
> XFS does quite well on recovering the filesystem metadata after
> a crash. You get all inodes, directories, etc.  But some of them
> will have a bunch of zeros instead of real data, and what pisses
> me off is that you have to manually hunt down the files that were
> damaged this way.

Let's write a tool then.

> Presumably, anything that makes very judicious use of fsync() where
> appropriate will have less changes of corruption (the data loss window is
> much shorter than the several seconds delayed write allocation can cause).
> MTAs are known to get this right :)

You *can* tweak XFS to do that...

> Delayed writes in XFS makes all of the above useless.  It simply doesn't
> send the data to the disk, and that makes the potential data loss window a
> order of magnitude (or more) bigger than the time it takes to flush data to
> the disk with such a setup.   Although it is very possible that one can tell
> XFS to shorten or close the delayed-write window (I didn't check).

/proc/sys/vm.

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"literature always anticipates life.
 it does not copy it, but moulds it to its purpose.
 the nineteenth century, as we know it,
 is largely an invention of balzac."
                                                        -- oscar wilde