Re: Querying Debian release and dpkg database with SNMP?

Hello Turbo

On 2006-02-03 Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > Are thery already projects that make the dpkg database available via SNMP?
> Not that I know of, but I'll be happy to create one.
Oh, cool :)

> > It would be neat to get a list of all servers that still use
> > Debian Woody and need to be updated or already have apache2 installed
> > and thus can be used as configuration example etc...
>
> So what you need/want is:
>
>  1. package name
>  2. package version
>  3. description
>  4. package status (installed, removed, purged etc)
>  5. priority
>  6. section
>  7. maintainer
>  8. source
>  9. depends
> 10. recommends
>
> These not necessarily in one table though...
Maybe like
	1.2.3.4.dpkg."mysql-server-4.1".status
	1.2.3.4.dpkg."mysql-server-4.1".version

> > (A complete management via SNMP like RedHat offers it is another topic
> Never heard of. Got a link/page on what it looks like?

Take a look at "http://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/rhn/";, they have some
tours, screenshots and docs about it. I never used it myself and looks far
more than just gathering a packagelist from all my servers but you get
the idea what is possible.

bye,

-christian-