RE: Qlogic FC Multipath and engenio

Some SAN solutions do not support Active-Active redundancy where both
controllers are active at the same time. For example en HP EVA3000 the
the controllers implement an Active-Passive redundancy; for each
vdisk created in the SAN there is only one active controller that accepts
commands for the disk. Whereas HP EVA6000 or HP EVA8000 implement
active-active redundancy and you can use native Multi-Path I/O drivers
of Solaris, AIX, Linux to implement redundancy.

> If I access the 'second path' via the 'other' controller to a
> disk, I
> get io errors...

If active-active redundancy is not implemented, access to a vdisk
through the passive controller results in timeout and I/O errors.

> Is this normal? I was expecting that all controllers offer all disks
> equally, and am
> a bit confused about this 'default active' setting...
>
> I has hoping to avoid compiling the RDAC driver from engenio
> as it is
> 'configured'
> for RedHat or Suse, and I now have to go through the Makefile to fix
> it - hopefully
> this should be pretty easy... Their RDAC driver seems to use 'MPP'
> for the failover

Some vendor drivers implement vendor-specific controller switch-over
code. For example, vendor Qlogic drivers for Linux permit redundant
I/O paths and transparent switch-over to the standby controller even
with HP EVA3000, while in Solaris MPIO with active-passive redundancy
does not work and the HP Secure Path software is requiered for
implementing a fault tolerant solution.

PS: Company policy forces me to use Outlook for e-mail. Sorry for
dumb formatting...

Ali